Valarie J. McCall, an appointee of the City of Cleveland, joined the RTA Board of Trustees in July 2006.
In recognition of her career in public service, she was awarded an honorary doctorate from Cleveland State University in 2012.
She is a past President of the Governing Board of the Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency (NOACA). She currently serves as Treasurer of the Board
- On Oct. 3, 2015, she was elected to a one-year term as Chair of the American Public Transportation Association (APTA). She previously served as Vice Chair of APTA, and also chaired the Transit Board Members Committee.
- Chair, RTA External and Stakeholder Relations and Advocacy Committee, 2018-2022
- 2019 - 2022, Chief of Communications, Government & International Affairs for Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson.
- 2007- 2019, Chief of Government & International Affairs for Cleveland Mayor Frank G. Jackson.
- The Administration’s primary liaison to the state government and federal government. Monitors mayoral appointments to internal and external boards and commissions. The Mayor’s primary representative to the:
- U.S. Conference of Mayors
- National Conference of Black Mayors
- National League of Cities, Vice-Chair of the City Futures Panel on Equity and Opportunity
- National Black Caucus of Local and Elected Officials
- Ohio Municipal League
- Northeast Ohio Areawide Coordinating Agency
- Cuyahoga County Mayor’s and Managers Association
Previous public-sector service
- 2002, became youngest City Clerk, Clerk of Council in the history of the City of Cleveland. Chief administrative officer for the 21-member Cleveland City Council.
- Director of the Empowerment Zone, City of Cleveland.
She serves on a number of Boards, including:
- 2003-2006, Greater Cleveland Film Commission.
- Cleveland Leadership Center.
- Look Up To Cleveland.
- Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
- Destination Cleveland (formerly Positively Cleveland).
- Downtown Cleveland Improvement District.
- Advisory board, Center for Nonprofit Policy & Practice, Cleveland State University.
- 2007, Leadership Cleveland Class. Traveled to Japan with the American Council of Young Political Leaders.
- 2003, American Marshall Fellow of the German Marshall Fund, which fosters transatlantic partnerships to build international relations. Traveled to several European counties, including Greece before the 2004 Olympic Games.
- 2015, Included in a Fascinating Alumni book, published by Cleveland State University
- 2015, Received Walter F. Ehrnfelt Jr. Award for Outstanding Regional Contribution from NOACA, for "contributing significantly toward the betterment of the NOACA region by exhibiting leadership, dedication, skill and accomplishment."
- 2003, Alumni Emerging Leadership Award, Cleveland State University
- 2002-2003, Young Leader of the Future, Ebony Magazine
- 2002, 40 Under 40, Crain's Cleveland Business
- 2002, 30/40 Club, Kaleidoscope Magazine
- Martin Luther King Law & Public Services Magnet High School
- Bachelor's degree in social work, Cleveland State University
- Master's degree in public administration, Cleveland State University
Updated April 13, 2022
Board of Trustees
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113