The GCRTA Civilian Oversight Committee (COC) is responsible for the review of public complaints filed against GCRTA Transit Police Department employees. The COC is an advisory body to GCRTA and its Transit Police Department.
COC members are appointed by the GCRTA Board to serve three-year terms. In order to establish the committee, inaugural members will serve staggered terms. Candidates must be Cuyahoga County residents and have the capability to be impartial and objective regarding law enforcement.
CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE MEMBER RESPONSIBLITIES
- Hold public meetings to hear community and Police Bureau member appeals of police misconduct investigations
- Listen to community concerns regarding police conduct
- Participate in trainings and activities to increase cultural awareness and responsiveness
- Engage in training and other activities to learn about policing
- Review GCRTA Transit Police policies and procedures
- Interact with elected officials; and
- Serve on the Civilian Oversight Committee, an advisory body to the Chief of Police that makes recommendations as to findings and propose discipline of Transit Police employees
CANDIDATE QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPECTATIONS
- 18 years old or older
- Cuyahoga County resident
- Have a general understanding of GCRTA services and its Transit Police Department
- Possess the ability to remain objective and unbiased in order to represent the best interests of the public.
- Possess sound communication and listening skills
- Reflect GCRTA’s customer base and have diverse representation regarding age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, military status, transit dependence, and geography.
- Outstanding members of the community and exhibit a strong moral code and should be free of any criminal history.
- Maintain high standards of confidentiality
- Willingness to make a substantial time commitment—including trainings, monthly meetings, and independent review of complaint files.
- At least one (1) member of the COC shall be a retired police officer with Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy experience.
Mail or deliver the application in person at:
RTA Operations Division
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, OH 44113.
Please note, all COC applicants may be subject to a background check.