The ADA Office, located inside the Greater Cleveland RTA Main Office Building at 1240 W. 6th St., Cleveland, OH 44113, is open Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 4:30pm.
Mobile ticketing purchasing options
- Customers can now use mobile ticketing to purchase four types of fare media -- Paratransit 1-Ride Card, Paratransit All-Day, Paratransit 7-Day and Paratransit Monthly Passes.
- Only a Paratransit 1-Ride ticket and Paratransit Fare Media can be used to pay for Paratransit trips. No other Fare Media will be accepted.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) was signed into law in 1990. It:
- Protects the rights of all people without regard to their physical and/or cognitive disabilities.
- States that all persons have a right to use available public transportation.
- Requires that those not able to independently ride public buses be provided with an equivalent, corresponding service for their transportation needs within the established service area.
This corresponding service is called Paratransit. Paratransit service is provided to persons who, because of their disabilities, are unable to independently travel on the public transit system.
Each day, thousands of people choose RTA as a convenient, economical way to get around Greater Cleveland. Services for riders with disabilities include:
- RTA buses with the universal "wheelchair symbol" on the front, complete with wheelchair lifts or ramps to help people board buses safely and easily.
- A bus fleet that is totally accessible.
- ADA-accessible Rapid Transit stations, to help passengers safely ride RTA trains.
If you need more assistance than the standard RTA service offers, you may be eligible for ADA certification to travel on specially equipped Paratransit vehicles.
Paratransit certification process
- Are you eligible for ADA certification?
- Service eligibility
- Obtaining an application
- Completing the application
- Functional testing
- Appealing the decision
- Travel Training program
- Benefits of travel training
- Who is eligible?
- What does travel training include?
- Get started today
Using Paratransit service
- Getting started
- Affordable fares
- Arranging your travel
- Calling to schedule a trip? Please remember:
- Tips for smooth travel
- Using fixed-route service
- Paratransit service limits
- How to cancel a trip
Paratransit rules and policies
- Visitors policy
- Personal Care Attendants
- Customer behavior policy
- No-show policy
- Late cancellation policy
- Warning and suspension process
- Appealing suspensions
Paratransit appeals process
- Right to appeal
- The appeals process
- Questions about appeals
For more information
For an ADA application:
- click here for ADA application
- Call 216-566-5124
To schedule Paratransit service after you have received your ADA ID card:
- click here to schedule Paratransit service
- Call 216-621-9500
If your vehicle has not arrived at the end of your scheduled window of time:
- Call the Paratransit dispatcher, 216-566-5244
For general questions about RTA service:
- Call the RTAnswerline, 216-621-9500
Disability program for bus & rail
This application (link is external) must be completed if you want to participate in RTA's disability program for fixed-route bus and rail, or if you want to recertify your enrollment in the disability program. Applications can be submitted via fax, email or dropped off at Tower City Customer Service Center.
To apply for RTA's Fixed-Route Disability Fare program, fill out pages 2 and 3 of the application. A medical professional or social worker must complete pages 4-6. Submitt the completed form via fax, email or dropped off at the Tower City Customer Service Center. The $5 fee is being waived.
RTA can only process applications that are completed correctly.
New Fixed Route Cards will be issued without a photo and state the card is "Temporary". Customers will be required to show operators their new ID card as well as a state issued photo ID.
Renewing Fixed Route Cards will need to submit a renewal applications. They can be submitted via fax, email, or dropped off at Tower City Customer Service Center. The current card will be extended until March 31, 2021.